Thursday, September 18, 2008

Appreciation For Life

I was watching a report on the aftermath of Hurricane Ike and its affects on Texas and other areas that were hit by the hurricane. For a brief second, I almost gave power to sadness and let that terrible image remain in my head for the rest of the day. Instead, I decided to find out how I could help some of the families that were affected by that natural disaster. Where I could have easily slumped into a negative state of mind and let the misfortune of others bring depression into my life, I turned that terrible thought into a positive solution. Not only that, once again the woes of the world affirmed my appreciation for life!

Too many times we take our own life for granted and think that everything has to be the way it is. Fortunately, we were all blessed with the ability to overcome anything. We can let society dictate to us that we have to stay a certain way once turmoil has entered our lives or we can take our lives into our own hands and choose to be positive and create a better path for ourselves, even if we need to enlist the help of others. We are of no use to anyone if we do not understand that life is valuable and that each day has to be treated as a precious commodity. How we are to ourselves and how we are to others play an important role on the emotional mind set that we set for ourselves.

It is always easy to give up and let life’s misfortunes knock you down and keep you down, but you will always find yourself in a sad or angry state of mind if you let that happen. A positive attitude is so uplifting and powerful that it even empowers people in your path to want to do better and often people will ask you how you are able to always stay in a good mood despite any negative surroundings. But when you are always negative and/or sad you will find that people alienate you because deep down nobody really wants to be sad or angry all the time, nor do they wish to be around people who constantly succumb to those emotions.

I personally know a beautiful young lady who lost her mother when she was only eight years old. Her sister, who was just 19 at the time, took her in and did her best to take care of her. Because her sister was also dealing with the loss of their mother while trying to raise a family in her teen life, it was difficult for the older sister to give her baby sister the type life she had hoped. This young lady would go on to endure other personal pitfalls in her young teen life. The tragic loss of her mother at an early age, compounded with other challenges she faced in her teen years had all of the makings for giving up and rebelling against the world. Through her own determination, she persevered, she prayed a lot and she decided to do what it took to change the quality of her life in memory of her mother. Because of that wonderful decision, today she is a Dean’s list senior in college with her mind already set on furthering her education in Graduate school. She is strong willed, she is smart and most of all she has an appreciation for life! I am extremely proud of her and all that she has accomplished despite the adversities in her life!

It is easy to get caught up in all the things that are wrong in your life, but when you overcome your adversities, your life becomes other people’s strength. Someone is always watching you and it is your responsibility to give them something positive to see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dolly, this is so true - I have found that when I am frequently smiling and in a good mood, people do ask why or how, even. I am the blessed mother of four wonderful children. I have a wonderful husband and we are a team in raising our children. People have often asked me "don't you just want a break from 4 kids??" My honest to goodness answer is, "No!" I thrive on the comings and goings and doings of my four children. Each bring me such joy and happiness - a little stress every now and then, but then again, that is there job! LOL

Copter Richie said...

This is a very beautiful and well written blog. I have an expression that I would like to share, 95% of any task or crisis that comes before us is attitude. If we approach everything with the right attitude, nothing is impossible. My mother would always tell me, if there is a will, there is a way. This I have found to be very true. The tells of Seek and ye shall find, knock and it will open unto you, etc. So having the right attitude is a major step in resolving any crisis or bettering ones life.